ANNOUNCEMENT: Live seminars are back! We will be following all recommended guidelines from the CDC and local health authorities. Please bring a face covering with you. Seminar videos also available here!
STRAIGHT TALK SENIOR LIVING SERIES
Join us for a series of candid conversations about topics that matter. Our mission is to provide education and resources designed to help people live empowered lives and make informed decisions.
2020 FREE SEMINARS FOR SENIORS
Click “register” to sign up for a seminar online or call 515-321-7059
- Thu, May 20Johnston Lions ClubMay 20, 10:00 AM – 11:30 AMJohnston Lions Club, 6501 Merle Hay Rd, Johnston, IA 50131, USAMore and more retirees of all ages are relocating to active adult and retired independent living communities all around the country. You may be considering such a move yourself, but just aren’t sure what the fuss is all about!
- Thu, Jun 17Johnston Lions ClubJun 17, 10:00 AM – 11:30 AMJohnston Lions Club, 6501 Merle Hay Rd, Johnston, IA 50131, USAWhen planning ahead for future care needs, conversations with adult children can be challenging at best. This seminar is designed to provide insights into how to begin and continue tough conversations, as well as how to create closure when conversations aren’t possible.
- Thu, Jul 15Johnston Lions Club
- Thu, Aug 12Johnston Lions ClubAug 12, 10:00 AM – 11:30 AMJohnston Lions Club, 6501 Merle Hay Rd, Johnston, IA 50131, USAAs we age, many of us become concerned about if and how we or a loved one may be affected by dementia. During this 90-minute panel, our experts will dispel some of the dementia myths and provide us with the TRUTH about dementia and what each of us needs to know.
- Thu, Sep 16Johnston Lions ClubSep 16, 10:00 AM – 11:30 AMJohnston Lions Club, 6501 Merle Hay Rd, Johnston, IA 50131, USAAs far as we know, no one secretly wishes they could spend their last breaths in a cold, noisy, impersonal hospital room. Most people say that given the option, they prefer to die at home amongst family and close friends.
- Thu, Oct 14Johnston Lions ClubOct 14, 10:00 AM – 11:30 AMJohnston Lions Club, 6501 Merle Hay Rd, Johnston, IA 50131, USANo one likes to consider the possibility of ever having to move to a “nursing home” or long-term healthcare community. It is for this reason that few people do any advance planning or investigation into such arrangements.
- Thu, Nov 18Johnston Lions ClubNov 18, 10:00 AM – 11:30 AMJohnston Lions Club, 6501 Merle Hay Rd, Johnston, IA 50131, USAThe most commonly used word to describe the downsizing process is “overwhelm”. In fact, many people find themselves paralyzed by even the idea of moving to a smaller or more manageable space. The good news is that there are people, strategies, and services that can make the downsizing easier.
- Thu, Dec 16Johnston Lions ClubDec 16, 10:00 AM – 11:30 AMJohnston Lions Club, 6501 Merle Hay Rd, Johnston, IA 50131, USAAs we age our needs in life change and as a result so do the resources we may need. We have many amazing resources within our community, but are you aware of them? Who are all the professionals you should consider having on “your team”?
- RSVP ClosedThu, Apr 15Johnston Lions ClubApr 15, 10:00 AM – 11:30 AMJohnston Lions Club, 6501 Merle Hay Rd, Johnston, IA 50131, USAWhen families get together, downsizing and moving from the family home often become a topic of discussion between parents and their adult children. Retirement communities and 55+ active adult living options are popping up all around the Des Moines metro area and in every other city in the country.
- RSVP ClosedStraight Talk about Financing, Appraisals & Inspections & Top 10 Mistakes to Avoid When Selling Your HomeThu, Mar 18Johnston Lions ClubMar 18, 10:00 AM – 11:30 AMJohnston Lions Club, 6501 Merle Hay Rd, Johnston, IA 50131, USABeing informed about how the process works after you’ve accepted an offer on your home will help put your mind at ease. And what are the “Top 10” mistakes that homeowners should avoid when selling their home? Join our expert panelists—appraiser, loan officer, home inspector and Realtor.
- RSVP ClosedThu, Feb 18Johnston Lions ClubFeb 18, 10:00 AM – 11:30 AMJohnston Lions Club, 6501 Merle Hay Rd, Johnston, IA 50131, USAHere we are in the midst of getting taxes ready to file for 2021. But you know, it’s always tax season! Every day you enter into transactions that will affect your tax liability. Join us for the 90 minute seminar and get Straight Talk from experts in the financial field.
- RSVP ClosedThu, Jan 21Johnston Lions Club
MEET THE HOST
Mary Eikenberry is a native Iowan and has lived in the Des Moines area since 1975. She is an experienced real estate professional in the Des Moines area (since 1993). Mary has a degree in General Science and Medical Technology. Mary found that teaching and sales were more satisfying than lab work and she began a 16-year sales career; 10 of those as the owner and sales trainer of a Tupperware franchise in Des Moines. As an adoptive parent of 2 daughters adopted from China, she was drawn into that field, where she spent 10 years teaching and assisting parents during the post-adoption process. Four of those years were as Director of Post-Adoption Services. Her love of helping people led her real estate career in the direction of focusing on helping homeowners and home buyers that are 55+ years of age. She has helped hundreds of seniors successfully downsize and relocate and has assisted family members with these late-life moves. Mary is a graduate of the Seniors Real Estate Institute and is currently the only Certified Senior Housing Professional (CSHP) in Iowa.
EMPOWERMENT IN ACTION
“The Straight Talk Senior Living seminars are an invaluable resource for seniors or anybody who knows a senior. It is a great way to share information. As a presenter, I have appreciated the opportunity to share my knowledge and experience with the participants. As a bonus, every time I attend a seminar, I learn something!”
- Ross F. Barnett
Abendroth Russell Barnett Law Firm
JOHNSTON LIONS CLUB
Conveniently located, comfortable, easily accessible and plenty of parking!
HOW LONG IS THE SEMINAR?
Most of our expert panel discussions are about 60 minutes. Some run longer than others depending on the depth of the topic. Any remaining time is used to address questions from attendees. We begin promptly at 10:00AM and finish no later than 11:30AM.
CAN ATTENDEES ASK QUESTIONS?
Yes! We want you to get your questions answered. Keep in mind that because we do our homework, many of your questions will likely be answered throughout the prepared discussion. If you still have any unanswered question at the end, you will have an opportunity to ask. We do request that if you have a specific question that is personal in nature (i.e. can’t be generalized to the group) that you ask us when the seminar is over.
CAN I ATTEND IF I'M NOT A SENIOR?
We welcome anyone who believes the information would be valuable to them. If you are not a senior, but you are seeking information to advise someone who is - or maybe you are planning ahead - please join us.
WHAT IF I HAVE QUESTIONS AND CAN’T MAKE IT TO THE SEMINAR?
Please feel free to contact us concerning questions you may have about downsizing, senior living options, 55+ neighborhoods or other related topics. If we are unable to answer your questions, you will be directed to one of the many subject matter experts who will be happy to assist you.
WHY IS THE EVENT FREE FOR SENIORS AND THEIR GUESTS?
The professionals hosting, moderating, sponsoring, and serving as panelists have strong convictions about ensuring that people are educated, empowered, and equipped as they prepare for late-life issues, especially where and how they will live. They have donated their time and expertise to these seminars so that ALL seniors are able to attend regardless of their financial situation.
IS THERE GOING TO BE A SALES PITCH?
Nope. No sales pitch. You will have an opportunity to get to know the host and panelists and you can decide for yourself if it makes sense to request their services or products. Presenters and speakers may have materials available for you to take home, but it’s up to you to pick them up if you want them.
CAN I REQUEST A TOPIC FOR THE NEXT SEMINAR?
Absolutely! The goal is to make the Straight Talk Senior Living Series as meaningful and relevant as possible, so we welcome your suggestions and ideas. Naturally, we prepare the topics for the series well in advance, so be patient concerning time frames for your suggested topic to hit the calendar.
CAN I ATTEND FOR BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT PURPOSES?
We always welcome service providers and business owners seeking to learn more about serving mature homeowners. If you attend with a registered client, there is no fee for you to attend. The fee for business owners and aging services professionals not attending with a client is $25 payable at the door. At this time only cash or checks are accepted. Due to limited seating, we reserve the right to provide priority seating to non-professionals.
HOW CAN I GET IN CONTACT WITH YOU?
Call 515-321-7059 or by filling out the form here.